19.8.11

Heart and Soul Magazine


HEART AND SOUL MAGAZINE

Shaping Black Boys Through Books


Growing up in Mississippi, Derrick Barnes would have his elementary class spellbound when reading his stories aloud. Afterwards, male classmates would ask him to craft love letters expressing their affection to childhood sweethearts.

Since then Barnes has continued to capture young readers and his Scholastic series Ruby and The Booker Boys remains a top seller. His recent release, We Could Be Brothers, seeks to combat the staggering statistics and characterizations of young black men. The fictional tale brings together African-American boys from different backgrounds and dealing with similar issues. We caught up with the author, husband and father to discuss the importance of black boys reading, how being raised by a single mom motivates him as a father and the impact of James Baldwin on his career.

HEART & SOUL: Congrats on the new book. What was the motivating factor for writing We Could Be Brothers?

DERRICK BARNES: I was a mentor for a youth program and mentoring the entire class. I witnessed some kids referring to themselves as the ‘n’ word. I realized what was missing is the positive male role models in their lives to provide insights about what was coming from there mouths. I wanted to have a candid conversation between three young black men with varying stories and focus on the types of conversations these young men have while bonding. Sometimes the view of African-American boys is one-dimensional. I wanted to show the diversity of black boys. I wanted them to be shown with a human look and feel.

HEART &SOUL: Are any of those characters you? Who do they represent?
BARNES:
Pacino Clapton mirrors a lot of black males who are raised in single parent homes and are left with no identity regarding their masculinity. The name Pacino was derived from witnessing a number of African-American boys choosing to wear shirts depicting “Scarface” over James Baldwin or Marcus Garvey.

HEART &SOUL: One of your characters is from a single parent home. What advice do you have for first-time fathers that are struggling to take care of their sons?
BARNES: With me it came naturally and I come from a single parent home as well. What works for me is to put your children and your family first. Every decision I make is centered on my family. For example, when I go to exercise I am staying fit so I can be around for my family. If you put your family first, you can’t help but win.

HEART &SOUL: We hear James Baldwin is one of your inspirations. What would you say to him if he were sitting right beside you?
BARNES: Thank you Mr. Baldwin for being so much of an influence on me as an intellectual: as a writer. He was so far ahead of his time. I was at a photography museum in Manhattan and viewed a clip of Baldwin telling some young men that there would be an African-American president. He was ahead of his time. I can’t think of anybody even close to his voice.

We Could Be Brothers is on sale now.